You can print using any MacBook model if you have a compatible printer. If you are a beginner with a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, then how to print in MacBook might have puzzled you. The first step in any printing process is to add a printer to your MacBook.
Can you send printing commands and other instructions to the connected printer? You must add a printer to your MacBook. This guide will help you understand how to connect a printer to your Mac device, how you can print, and more functions. So, let’s get started.
How to Add a Printer to Your MacBook?
Adding a printer directly to your Mac computer is necessary before you learn how to print in MacBook. Let’s see how you can connect a wired or USB printer to MacBook.
Connect a USB Printer to Your MacBook
Ensure that your Mac’s OS is up to date and that other required printing applications are installed and updated. To check available software updates on your Mac, follow the path: Apple icon → About This Mac → Software Update. Install if there’s any update available.
You can also visit the App Store to download or update the corresponding printer applications. Navigate to the Updates section on the left sidebar. This will ensure your printer will easily connect to the MacBook and start working.
Now, follow the instructions below to make a successful connection between your MacBook and printer:
- Power on your MacBook and printer.
- Next, use a USB cable to connect to the compatible port of your MacBook.
- And, Insert the cable’s other end into your printer’s USB port.
- On your MacBook, click the Apple menu from the menu bar.
- After that, continue with System Preferences.
- Click on the Print and Fax section.
- Now, click the Add or + button just below the Printers box.
- Your MacBook must have recognised the attached printer, which should appear in the Printers section. Click on the intended printer icon and opt for the Add button.
Congratulations! You have successfully connected your MacBook to a USB printer.
How to Print in MacBook using a Wireless Printer?
Connecting your MacBook Air or Pro to a wireless printer is easy. Before you hop on how to print on MacBook Air, connect both devices to the same access point or Wi-Fi network. Only then can your Mac computer recognise the wireless printer’s presence over the network.
Additionally, your MacBook will automatically display all those wireless printers that are on the same network. Here’s how you can discover a wireless printer and connect to it:
- Click on the Apple icon from the top left corner of the screen.
- Next, click the System Preferences option.
- Then, navigate to the section named Printers and Scanners.
- You can see all the available wireless printers on the same network to which you have connected your MacBook.
You must download a particular application to connect that wireless printer to your MacBook. On the other hand, you might have to connect the wireless printer through a USB cable for the initial setup. Follow the wireless printer’s setup guide for a detailed connection to a MacBook.
Your MacBook will notify you if it lacks a printer driver, and you can easily download it using the provided link.
Connecting a Network Printer
How to print from MacBook to HP printer if it is network-enabled? You can connect an HP printer as an IP or network printer if you use any of the following HP printers:
- HP AirPrint
- Internet Printing Protocol or IPP
Ensure you find the printer’s IP address, as you will need it for the connection.
Here’s how you can connect a network printer to the same Wi-Fi network that your MacBook uses:
- Click the Apple icon and click on System Preferences.
- Next, go to the Printers and Scanners section.
- A list of printers available on the network will pop up on the left of your Mac screen.
- Then, click on the Add or + button below the list of printers.
- Go to the IP tab.
- After that, provide the printer’s IP address, name, and host details. All this information is necessary for recognising the printer.
Click the Add button to connect the network printer to your MacBook.
How to Add a Bluetooth Printer to Your MacBook
How to print on MacBook using Bluetooth connectivity? First, you must connect the Bluetooth-enabled printer and your MacBook. Go through the guidelines below to add a Bluetooth printer to a Mac computer:
- First, enable Bluetooth on your Mac and turn on the printer.
- Go back to your MacBook and click on the Apple icon.
- Next, opt for System Preferences and hit the Printers and Scanners section.
- Click the Add or Plus button from below the printer list.
- Now, choose your Bluetooth printer under the Default tab.
If you can’t find the Bluetooth printer there, you must manually install the required Bluetooth printer drivers. Then, repeat the steps mentioned above to add the printer to your MacBook.
How to Print in a MacBook?
Once you have connected your Mac device to a suitable printer, you must know how to print in a MacBook Air or Pro. Here’s what you have to follow:
- Explore the webpage or document that you want to print on your MacBook.
- Now, use the keyboard shortcut of Command + P to bring on the print options. Or else, you need to click on the File option with the document open. Next, click the Print option.
- Next, select your printer from the connected devices on the same network. Otherwise, your MacBook will proceed with the default printer.
- A print dialogue will pop up where you can preview the documentation and how it will look on the selected paper. However, the print dialogue will depend on your printer and app.
- Afterwards, check out additional printer settings. For example, you can specify the number of copies, print range, presets, colour, orientation, paper size, and more.
- If everything appears right after adjusting printer settings, click the Print option.
It will take a while for the printer to print the intended document or webpage. Moreover, you can use the same steps to learn how to print on Mac from Safari.
Steps to Set a Printer for Your MacBook
You might have to opt for different customisation seldom you decide to print. Otherwise, you would follow a generic batch of settings. That’s why it’s better to set up a few default settings for your printer using the MacBook. As a result, you can apply the required settings every time without wasting effort. Remember that these settings will apply to your printer by default.
Check out how to print on MacBook with setup steps:
- Start by opening up a printable file.
- Next, click the File option from the Preview menu.
- After that, choose the Print option from the drop-down menu.
- Then, a print dialogue will pop up. Click on the Show Details option to enter the advanced printing menu. Set the image dimension, colour or black and white, adjust the orientation, modify the scaling, include borders, media, etc.
- Once you finish the required settings, you can assign them as a preset. Simply, hit the Presets option. Thus, you can notice Default settings to be selected.
- Now, choose the option that says, ‘Save Current Settings as Preset’.
- Give that preset a name to apply to your selected printer.
Click the OK button, finally.
Remove an Unused Printer from a MacBook
You might have connected multiple printers to your MacBook. This might drain your Mac computer’s battery. Additionally, you might face connecting more printers to the same MacBook. That’s why you should check how you can delete a printer from the queue of your MacBook.
Here’s how to delete a specific printer or certain printers from your MacBook:
- Open the Apple menu and click System Preferences.
- After that, go to the Printers and Scanners section.
- The left sidebar will display all currently connected printers to your MacBook.
- Then, check out the printer or device you want to remove from your MacBook.
- Next, select the printer and hit the remove or minus sign to delete it from your Mac connection.
Repeat these steps to get rid of any unused printer from your MacBook. Moreover, don’t forget to check out your MacBook’s default or primary printer.
Contact Macbook Repair India for Printer Issue Troubleshooting
Hopefully, the guide will assist you with how to print on MacBook. If you are still dealing with software issues, outdated printer drivers, connectivity challenges, etc., then don’t keep printing services pending.
Instead, consider Macbook Repair India and its excellent services. Their MacBook-certified, experienced, and licensed technicians will offer the finest-grade solutions. Indeed, they provide reasonable and genuine repairs for MacBooks and accessories. Therefore, call them and book a service today if printer-related problems persist on your Mac system.